52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks
Ancestor # 19
Elizabeth Grue (1825-1850)
Elizabeth Grue is an unknown
entity in my pedigree chart. I know her name only because it is given on her
daughter’s marriage registration in 1874[1].
I have estimated her birth year to be about 1825 based upon the birth of her
first child in April 1846. However, she could have been born any time between
1820 and 1830. Her birth place is believed to be Quebec since Grue is a French
name. The original French spelling of this name could be Giroulx or Groulx and
it is often spelled Grew in English. Elizabeth married John Tweed probably
about 1845 based on the birth of her son James in 1846 and probably in either
Dundas or Grenville County, Ontario. She died sometime after the birth of her
youngest child on 1 July 1850 and before the 1851 Canadian census which was taken as
of 12 Jan 1852[2].
At this time her husband was listed as widowed.
In order to see if I could find any candidates for
her family in the area, I looked for Grues living in Dundas, Stormont,
Grenville, Leeds and Lanark Counties. I found several individuals that all seem
to be related and children of Lemuel and Rosanna (Rollande) Grue. I found John
Grue in the 1st Grenville Cavalry in 1839[3].
John was living in Edwardsburg in 1851[4]
with Moses, 25, and Rollande identified as mother age 60, widowed. All 3 were
born in Quebec. In Leeds County in 1851, I located Peter Grue[5],
born Canada East, 32, blacksmith. Peter was married to Allis and had 4 children
living in the household. I also found Ann Grue[6],
19, living in Augusta, birthplace not given. Ann could have been a daughter of
Lemuel and Rosanna who would have been in her mid-forties when Ann was born,
Ann could also have been a daughter of John or Lewis or an unidentified Grue
family.
In 1861 I located Peter Grue[7],
blacksmith age 42, living in Mountain, Dundas, Ontario with his wife Alace and
7 children. In 1871 Peter was back in Leeds County[8].
In 1871 I found Lewis[9],
60, farmer, living in Edwardsburg with wife Margaret and 3 children and also
Moses[10],
farmer age 45, living with a wife and 6 children.
Posted pedigrees claim that these individuals were
all children of Lemuel and Rosanna. This seems to be borne out by the fact that
Rollande, mother, was living with John and Moses in 1851. A daughter, Rosanna,
married to Francis Scott has also been identified as a member of this family. Francis
and Rosanna did name a son Lemuel.
Proposed family for Lemuel and Rosanna (Rollande)
Grue:
Rosanna
born 1806
Lewis
born 1807
John born
1810
Peter,
born 1812
Elizabeth
born 1825 (?)
Moses
born 1827
Ann born
1833 (?)
Next steps will be to dig
into Quebec records and see if we can find out anything about this family
before they moved to Ontario. Also I need to dig further into Dundas County church
records to see if I can locate a burial record for Elizabeth.
Children of John and
Elizabeth (Grue) Tweed, all born in Mountain:
i.
James2 Tweed,
b. abt. 1847 and d. Jan. 5, 1924 in Erie, Penna., m. in 1867 Martha _____, b.
1842 in Penna and d. April 23, 1919 in Erie.
ii.
William Sidney Tweed, b.
abt 1849 and d. unk.
[2] 1851
census of Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Mountain,
Dundas County, Canada West, District 5, Sub-district 36, page 57, line 43, John
Tweed; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 23
Sep 2014), citing Library and Archives Canada microfilm, roll C_11717.
[3] “Canada,
British Army and Canadian Militia Muster Rolls and Pay Lists, 1795-1850”,
digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 23 Apr
2018), John Grue entry, Nov 1838, 1st Troop of Cavalry of the 1st
Grenville Militia, citing The National Archives, Kew, Surrey, England.
[4] 1851 Census of Canada East, Canada West,
New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Grenville County, Canada West, population
schedule, Edwardsburg, District 12, Sub-district 101, page 163, line 45, John
Grew; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 19
Apr 2018), citing Library and Archives Canada microfilm, roll C_11724.
[5] 1851 census
of Canada, Leeds County, Bastard, Peter Grue, p. 31, line 16, roll C_11733.
[6] 1851
census of Canada, Grenville County, Augusta, Ann Grue, p. 121, line 49, roll
C_11724.
[7] 1861 Census of Canada, Dundas County,
Canada West, population schedule, Mountain, page 69, Peter Grue; digital image:
Ancestry.com (http:www.ancestry.com: accessed 19 Apr 2018), citing
Library and Archives Canada microfilm, roll C-1014.
[8] 1871
Census of Canada, Leeds South, population schedule, Burgess South, District 67,
Sub-district I, Division 1, page 54, family 204, Peter Grew; digital image, Ancestry.com
(http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 22 Apr 2018), citing Library and Archives
Canada microfilm, roll C-10002.
[9] 1871
Census of Canada, Grenville County, population schedule, Edwardsburg, District 69,
Sub-district C, Division 3, page 48, family 167, Lewis Grue; digital image, Ancestry.com
(http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 22 Apr 2018), citing Library and Archives
Canada microfilm, roll C-10004.
[10] 1871
Census of Canada, Grenville County, Edwardsburg, p. 63, family 219.
No comments:
Post a Comment