Howard Baldwin, My Dad
At
the January meeting of our local genealogy society, our speaker was David
Kendall, the author of “When Descendants Become Ancestors:
The Flip Side of Genealogy” (available on Amazon). His premise is that as
genealogists we should be documenting the events in our lives for our
descendants so they don’t have to wonder about things. This got me thinking
that I know a lot about my direct ancestors, my parents. Besides living with
them for 18 years, I have heard many stories about their lives that I should
write down for my children and grandchildren. I decided to start with my
father. My children were still fairly young when he died so I am fairly certain
they never heard his stories about his childhood.
My
father was born and raised in North Dakota. I think of him as a farm boy but
his father didn’t really farm until my dad was 13
or 14 years old. Prior to this time, he managed a farm implement store first in
Grand Forks and then in Langdon, ND. My grandfather had the personality of a
successful salesman. My father remembered getting their first Model T when he
was about 9 years old. One day his father said, “Howard, come with me. I need
to catch a train.” So my Dad got in the car and rode with his father to the
depot. Once they got there, my grandfather told him to drive the car home. So
my Dad drove the car home. One problem though - he didn’t know how to stop it.
I asked, “What did you do?” He replied, “I prayed real hard all the way home
that I wouldn’t meet another vehicle and when I pulled into the yard, I yelled
for Ed (his big brother).” He learned real quick where the brake was.
They
moved to a rural township before 1925 and my grandfather started farming. I know
that Dad went to St. Thomas to live with his grandparents when he attended the
first year of high school. He was very homesick so did not go back for more
schooling. He completed high school in Grand Forks, graduating from University
High School which was part of the University of North Dakota. For many farm
children, it was the only way to get the required courses for admittance to the
University. After graduating from high school, Dad continued into his
undergraduate work and earned both BA and BS degrees, graduating in 1937 and
going directly into medical school.
While he was in Grand Forks, he worked for his uncle in the summer.
Uncle Bill Baldwin’s farm included vegetable farming
and he hired my father to drive his produce to market. This was Grand Forks
about 40 miles south of St. Thomas. My Dad told me he drove this ratty old
truck that was always breaking down and continually needed fixing. One day
after he had made his delivery, he was returning to St. Thomas when he realized
he didn’t have any brakes. North Dakota is very flat; you can see for long
distances in every direction. As he was driving, he noticed a horse and buggy
coming toward the intersection ahead. It looked like the horse and the truck
were going to meet in the middle. He tried to slow down as much as possible
using the gears and he prayed real hard. The horse just cleared the
intersection before the truck arrived. Phew.
Another
job he had as an undergraduate was selling aluminum cookware. Aluminum was a
new material for cookware and Dad sold this product by going into homes and
cooking a meal. Usually the hostess would invite several friends and neighbors
to come and eat too. Dad always was a good cook and very personable. He was one
of the top salesmen for the company and they offered him a permanent job when
he finished school but he wanted a career in medicine so he turned them down.
The
University of North Dakota Medical School is a two year program. After
completing these 2 years, students have to go elsewhere to complete their
clinical training. My Dad went to New York Medical College which was affiliated
with Flower Fifth Avenue Hospital in New York City. This is where he met my
mother. Dad found an unheated attic room and managed to complete his training
with very little money. He would go to a restaurant and order tea. Then he
would take the hot water and add catsup to make tomato soup. He ate lots of
cheese sandwiches because they were cheap and had protein. He told me it was so
cold in his attic room that he would have to study by flashlight under a pile
of blankets. He vowed that he would never be cold again. I remember how fussy
he was about the furnace. He wanted the most reliable, most efficient furnace.
And outside of an ice storm or two, it was never cold in our house.
It
is humbling to know how much our parents sacrificed and how hard they worked to
become the successful people they were. All I know is his hard work made my
life very comfortable and secure. Thanks, Dad.

No comments:
Post a Comment