Wyngaart Family of the
Hudson River Valley
The
Wyngaart’s were part of the early Dutch
migration to New Netherlands. The new world patriarch, Lucas Gerritse Wyngaart
was in the Albany area by 1658 when his first son was born. He and his wife,
Anna Janse Van Hoesen had at least 6 children born in the Hudson River Valley.
They first settled at Kinderhook and later moved up river to Albany. Here is my
working tree for this family as I know it. Please note that most of these
facts are unproved and may not stand the test of time. Baptisms have been
verified in Reformed Dutch Church records.
Generation
I
Lucas Gerritse Wyngaart born say 1630, married
Anna Janse Van Hoesen (born say 1638) about 1657 and had the following
children.
1. Gerrit Lucas born about 1658, m. Sara
Harmense Visscher 4 Nov 1694 in Albany
2. Elizabeth born 1663 in Kinderhook, New
York, m Dirck Jansz Goes (or Hoes)
3. Johannes Lucas, born about 1675, m.
Susanne Wendel 25 Apr 1695 in Albany
4. Jacobus Lucas, born about 1675(2)
5. Margaret (also called Maria)born Feb
1685 in Albany, m.Emanuel Classe Van Schaick in Albany
6. Lucas, born 1686 in Albany
Generation
2
Jacobus Lucas Wyngaart m. Marritje
Quackenbosch on 3 Nov 1700 in Albany
1. Anna baptized 11 May 1701 in Albany
2. Johannes born 30 May 1703, m. Maria Hayser 17 Nov 1725 in
Albany
3. Abraham, bap. 29 Jul 1705 in Albany(3)
4. Machteld, born 28 Jan 1707 in Albany, m.
Petrus Hilton about 1750
5. Gerrit Lucasse, bap 27 Oct 1710 in
Albany
6. Christina, bap. 17 May 1719 in Albany
7. Lucas, bap. 30 Nov 1721 in Albany, d. 7
Dec 1754 in Albany, m. Catarina Van Aalstyne 5 Jan 1753 in Albany
Generation
3
Abraham m. (1) Elizabeth Van
Franken(1706-1733) on 13 Dec 1729 in Albany and (2) Elizabeth Van Aalstyne on
11 Aug 1737 in Albany
1. Maria, b. 1731, m. Isaac Truax (or Truex
or Truen) on 16 Jun 1750 in Albany
2. Elizabeth, born 22 May 1738 in Albany
3. Peter, bap. 16 Aug 1741 in Albany(4)
Generation
4
Peter married Annatje Seiboroe about 1765
1. Peter, may be son baptized in 1770 in
Schodack, Rensselaer, New York
2. Abraham, bap. 21 Apr 1771 in Schodack
3. Nicholas, born about 1775, d. 21 Jul
1738 n Rensselaerville, Green, New York(5)
4. Richard, Bap 10 Jan 1778 in Coxsackie,
Greene, New York, died after 1880 in Seward, Schohharie, New York, m. Charity
____
5. Jacobus, Bap. 3 Oct 1784 in Coxsackie
Generation
5
Nicholas m. Marritje Fraser about 1797
1. Peter, b. 4 July 1798 in Albany, d. 23
Jul 1858 in Williamsburg, Dundas, Ontario, Canada
2. John, b.10 Oct 1801 in Coxsackie, d. 3
Sep 1858 in Mountain, Dundas, Ontario, Canada(6)
3. Abraham, b.6 Oct 1806
I decided to survey the census records from
1810-1850 to see if I could place any of these men. I found a total of 17
different Wyngaart households, in Greene, Albany and Schoharie counties between
1810 and 1850. Of those 18, I could identify 5 as individuals from my tree.
|
NAME
|
BIRTH YEAR from CENSUS
|
WHERE LIVED
|
YEAR of CENSUS
|
LIKELY FATHER
|
|
Abraham
|
1770-1780
|
Westerlo, Albany
|
1840
|
Peter
|
|
Nicholas
|
1775 or earlier
|
Sharon, Schoharie
|
1820
|
Peter
|
|
Richard
|
1782
|
Seward, Schoharie
|
1850
|
Peter
|
|
Abraham, Jr.
|
1807
|
Westerlo, Albany
|
1850
|
Abraham
|
|
John
|
1800-1810
|
Westerlo, Albany
|
1830
|
Abraham
|
I was able to identify 3 of
Peter’s sons and 2 of Abraham’s. Just to make things interesting,
in the late 1700’s, the name was anglicized to Winegard. But I have also seen
Wingard and Weingard. It is also indexed as Winegar.
What about those 12 I couldn’t place?
One was a woman, Charity Winegard, born between 1776 and 1794 (1820 Census).
Men included James, born 1786, Peter J. Born 1791, Peter D. Born 1805, John
born 1800, Nicholas born 1802, Daniel born 1812, William born 1821, Alexander
born 1828, Solomon born 1807. All of these individuals were in the 1850 census
as well as earlier. The last 2 are George born between 1800 and 1810 and James
born between 1810 and 1820. Both of these individuals were found in only the
1840 census.
What next? I would like to see if I can add any daughters to
these households and see if I can identify fathers for my 11 unidentified men.
I think I need to FAN (Family, Associates, Neighors) out and see if I can
identify wives and daughters. I have listed no daughters in generations 4 and
5. Church records should help here particularly with sponsors at baptisms. I
know a whole lot more now than I did a few months ago but still have a
challenge ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment