John
Baldwin’s Will
My
father had a chart of his Baldwin family that started with John Baldwin in
Ontario, Canada. I understood that one
of his grand aunts had put it together.
It gave details on John Baldwin, his children and his grandchildren.
John is my third great grandfather. I used this information to start my
genealogical journey.
Here
is what it said. John Baldwin married Asenath Buck and they had nine children,
seven boys and two girls. Their children, in birth order, were Daniel (my
second great grandfather, John, William, Thomas, George, Mary, Sarah, Silas and
Ezra. These children were all born between 1804 and 1823 in Dundas County,
Ontario. This is one of the counties surveyed and earmarked for settlement by
Loyalist troops after the War for American Independence. Settlers started
coming in about 1784 so in 1800, this was still the frontier. Dundas County is
on the St. Lawrence River across from Upper New York State. John apparently
crossed the river from Canton, NY and found a place for himself in Mountain
Township, Dundas County.
Asenath
Buck was the daughter of a Loyalist, a man named Samuel Buck, a blacksmith by
trade, who fought with Jessup’s Rangers. He died in Sorel,
Quebec in 1790 of consumption (tuberculosis). One of her brothers, Samuel Miles
Buck, also a blacksmith, settled close to Mountain in Grenville County. Two of
her sisters also settled nearby, one in Dundas County. The Baldwins and the
Bucks both had ties to Bennington County, Vermont. That might have brought John
and Asenath together.
I
have been able to verify the children of John and Asenath through John’s
will. The will was never probated but, in Canada, if the major asset was real
property and the property was transferred upon the death of the owner, a copy
of the will was placed in the deed record book. This is great news for
genealogists. The index lists “will” along with the grantor and grantee. The
will lists all of his children and confirms the chart my father received from
his relatives.
Will of John Baldwin[i]
To the Registrar of the County of Dundas in the Eastern
District and Province of Canada. A Memorial of the last will and testament of
the late John Baldwin, Senior of the Township of Mountain County of Dundas
Eastern District and Province of Canada leaving date the twenty sixth day of
September in the Year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and forty six in
manner and form following; First I give to my son Silas Baldwin and his heirs
the North half of the South or Front half of Lot Seventeen in the front
Concession of said Township of Mountain containing by admeasurement fifty acres
of Land be the same more or less being half of the place on which I now reside
with all the appurtenances.
Secondly, I give to my son Ezra Baldwin and his heirs the
South half of the South or front half of lot seventeen in the front concession
of the Said Township of Mountain containing by admeasurement fifty acres of land
be the same more or less being the other half of the place on which I now
reside with all the appurtenances and further that my said son Silas Baldwin
shall pay Ezra my son the sum of twenty five pounds in lawful money one year
after my decease. I also give to and bequeath to my sons Silas and Ezra and
their heirs and assigns the East half of lot number thirteen in the fourth
concession of the Said Township of Mountain containing by admeasurement one
hundred acres of land be the same more or less known as the Staddard farm. I
also give and bequeath to my oldest son Daniel Baldwin the sum of ten shillings
currency payable one year after my decease and also if my son Daniel or his
heirs shall pay unto my two sons Silas and Ezra Baldwin or their heirs the sum
of Two hundred and twenty five dollars with the term of five years commencing
at the date of this my last will and testament then my sons Silas and Ezra
shall give to my son Daniel and his heirs a good and sufficient deed or title
to the West half of the Said East half
of lot number thirteen in the fourth Concession of the Said Township of
Mountain which is herein before named as the Staddard farm.
And I further will and bequeath to my son William Baldwin the
sum of ten shillings currency payable one year after my decease. I also give and bequeath to my son John
Baldwin the sum of ten shillings payable as before written. And I also give and bequeath to my son Thomas
Baldwin the sum of ten shillings payable as before written. And I also give and
bequeath to my son George Baldwin the sum of ten shillings payable as before
mentioned. Also I give and bequeath to
my daughter Mary Reid the sum of ten pounds currency payable in produce or
stock in one year after decease. I also
give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Brown or her heirs the sum of eighteen
pounds fifteen shillings currency payable in produce or stock in one year after
my decease. And lastly I give and
bequeath to my sons Silas and Ezra Baldwin and their heirs all my personal
estate of which I may die possessed of
being composed of all my farming utensils stock of cattle horses and all other
articles which I may own at the time of my decease not mentioned herein and
also all debts due to me by note, bill, bond or account or in any way or manner
whatsoever and further that my said sons Silas and Ezra Baldwin shall pay all
the legacies herein given and bequeathed by me at the time mentioned for the
payment thereof. And also my sons Silas
and Ezra are to pay all debts due by me and also to fulfill all obligations
which I may or might be obliged to fulfill if living.
And I do hereby appoint my beloved and trusty friend Edmund Doran of the Township of Mathilda in the County of Dundas and Thomas Armstrong of the Township of Mountain aforesaid my executors to my last will and testament. And further I appoint George F. Sheaver of Mountain aforesaid also one of the executors of my said last will and testament. Which said last will and testament is testified by Edmund Doran of the Township of Mathilda in the Eastern Yeoman, Thomas Armstrong of the Township of Mountain which, Yeoman and George F. Sheaver of the same place, Yeoman. And this memorial is required to be registered by me Silas
You will notice that it also gives the date of death. He died
26 September 1846. This is not a usual source for a death date but surprises
like these are always welcome.
[i]
Land Records of Dundas County (v. C-D) 1839-1847. FHL microfilm: 201602. Family
History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
No comments:
Post a Comment