The Long
Distance Genealogist
I
have decided it would be fun to start a blog and share my research efforts with
others. My family consists of a mix of people some of whom have been in North
America since the beginning of the seventeenth century and some who immigrated
in the early twentieth century. But no matter when they came, they all have one
thing in common. They all lived far away from where I live; so, all of my
research has occurred at a distance. Thank goodness for the Internet. It has
made long distance genealogy possible in a reasonable time frame.
I
have found that there is relatively little published material on large sections
of my family. I would like to share what I have learned with others so that
what I have done is not lost forever. I
am hoping to meet and share information with other family members. Hopefully,
we can learn some tricks from each other.
As part of this, I plan to talk about some research strategies that have
worked and others that have not. Sometimes it’s
the failures that teach us as much as the successes. And when we do have
successes, it is so nice to share it with people who understand why you are
dancing around in your office.
Who
am I? I am a retired auditor and CPA and a grandmother. My husband died way too
young. All the plans we had for “when we
retire” went out the window. We were going to find a house near a lake, boat,
fish and generally relax. This was what my husband wanted to do. So, since I
didn’t have any strong opposition, I agreed. Actually, I thought I would spend
my time reading while he fished. When he died, I had to come up with Plan B. My
grandfather always said we could trace our roots back to the pilgrims. I can’t
tell you how disappointed I was at the age of 10 to visit Plymouth Rock and not
see any Pilgrims named Baldwin. As I grew older and wiser, I realized that you
didn’t have to come on the Mayflower to be called a pilgrim. I decided to see
if my grandfather was right. He was. My ancestors were founding families of
many towns in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I also discovered that my
grandmother could trace her Dutch roots back to the first ship of Dutch
settlers arriving in New Netherlands in 1623. How cool is that!
On
the other hand, my mother’s parents arrived at Ellis Island
in 1901 from East Flanders, Belgium, settled in Paterson, New Jersey and raised
a family. So like many of you, I have had to cross the pond and deal with old
records in a foreign language. I am grateful that Family Search has so many
records on line - not indexed but able to be searched. This has enabled me to
take my maternal lines back several generations to the late 1700’s. It is also
nice to have family still living in the “Old Country” who are always willing to
help you out.
I
have many challenges ahead. I have two second great grandmothers and one third
great grandmother that I know nothing about except that they are Irish. They
were part of the early Irish migration to Canada after the Napoleonic Wars. I
think I need some help with these three ladies. I need to call in some Canadian
help - someone to look at records that haven’t made it
to the Internet yet. After that it will be on to Ireland and Irish records.
Then
there is DNA. I have recently submitted a DNA sample to Family Tree DNA and
received results back. I am still trying to work my way through the results. So
far I have made contact with two people in the Netherlands. We are currently
trying to find our common ancestor. I have also submitted a sample to Ancestry.
I hope I will get some clues to help me with some of my biggest challenges.
No comments:
Post a Comment